Welcome to my new Blog



Welcome to my Blog.
My Blog is mostly about my hobbies, ie Model boats, Cross Stitch, Gardening, Days out and about, Lego Technics and Photography you might recognize the hat rather than me. My models and other hobbies can be found in the Tabs at the top below the header picture.
There will also be entries of days out with my camera, weather permitting of course.

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Canal Art

is for Canal Art
My current project in model boat building is a Narrow Boat, or in my area known as a "Narra Boat"
There are still quite a lot of people keeping this form of transport alive in this country.
Some boats coming back into their own for transportation, some for holiday homes and some are for permanent homes , though I guess you have to be quite strict with yourself on hoarding stuff if used to live on.
You tend to research  things you wouldn't normally read up on when starting a new project, just to get it looking right, or someone at the lake is going to pull you up about it and tell you where you have gone wrong!

I have nearly finished my present project and here it is as it stands at the moment

There is a lot of items to go on the top, ie flower tubs, air vents and lights. Then there are the doors at both ends and sliding hatch at the back. Then the last thing the name and roses on the side where I've missed cutting out a window ready for it.
As you can see the stand is also decorated 

Before and after

The tie up weight decorated as well, this is an old weight bought from an industrial second hand shop.

Watering cans bought from a florist and painted by me as per the canal art way.
Must be honest the flowers are transfers!

My friend Bob the builder and I had a stand at the Ellesmere Port Boat museum last month with his 7 foot model paddler of the "Great Eastern", the one that laid the first telegraph cable across "The pond". Last August the BBC filmed it ready for the new series of "Coast" this year!



Some of the items on permanent show at the museum.

So as you can see still plenty of interest on the subject, on a walk near son's (RJR) the other day spotted this Boat, in Uppermill!
And some more off the net to gain inspiration.

A guys model at St Annes Model Boat Club.


He's real, had his leg operated on in this picture, not by a modeller I hasten to add!


Another way of looking at real boats, is to just throw your money into the water and have done with it!

That's all folks 

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog, Duckie
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to mention you as well,wouldn't be the same without you and boats!

    ReplyDelete