Welcome to my new Blog



Welcome to my Blog.
My Blog is mostly about my hobbies, ie Model boats, Cross Stitch, Gardening, Days out and about, Lego Technics and Photography you might recognize the hat rather than me. My models and other hobbies can be found in the Tabs at the top below the header picture.
There will also be entries of days out with my camera, weather permitting of course.

Wednesday 4 November 2020

Gorton Remembers, 4.11.20.

 Whilst in Debdale Park, (East Manchester) spotted a what was (new to me in the summer) row of new trees at the end of the park.

I'd had a quick look then, but decided this week that being near Armistice  Sunday would include it here.


It starts here!.

Then goes down an avenue of  new trees.

See the Students from Wright Robinson had been involved.

Wonder how many Manchester City fans realised that horses of the Manchester Artillery had been temporary stabled at Maine Road ground.


Women of course played a major part in both world wars, supplying the troops and people at home.


Plenty of Poems and songs come out of the wars.


Plenty of industry switched to war efforts and Gorton  was there in the form of Beyer Peacock works and Sebastian Ferranti  factory in Oldham to name a few.

 Manchester hospitals looked after more sick and injured soldiers than any other hospital in the country, 8,204 soldiers brought by train from Southampton.

The usual accidents and emergencies on the home front had to carry on as well.

I remember being in Booth Hall Childrens hospital during the war, that was the second world war, if anyone was wondering!,   


At the end of the avenue there is this nice circle.

So this is the end for them. that we might live in today's world?.


....................................................

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!.


I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

.....................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment